Monday, September 15, 2008

RSS feed...and lots of other new technology

So I successfully created an RSS feed today! I used google reader and I didn't really have any problems so that made me feel good. I was able to find a number of sites to subscribe to... some I don't know if I'll keep but for right now they're kind of fun and cool. I have the usual things like news and sports news. I also subscribed to enterainment news as well... it's always interesting to know what's going on in Hollywood and things like that right? I also subscribed to a health news page and my sister's blog. I'm excited to be a little more up to date with my sister's blog because she just moved away to Indiana with her new daughter and I love keeping up to date on their lives. Something else that I found, that I think is kind of cool, was through MSN. They had a whole page of different pages and things you could subscribe to through their website. There were 2 that I'm kind of excited about... there's a word of the day and a random fact of the day. It's not always updated but nonetheless it's kind of cool stuff. My friend and I were saying, this summer, how we wanted to expand our vocabulary-- talk about an awesome way to help do that, right!? oh, in case anyone was wondering... "mukluk" is a large boot. :) I'm sure I'll find for fun and interesting things to subscribe to but for now... I'm happy with what I've found. I'm exciting to test out this reader more and start using the internet the "good and fast" (yay!) as opposed to the "old and slow" way (boo!).
I will have to comment that even in just having this class for 2 weeks, it's opened my eyes open to a lot of new and cool things. I notice things more now and feel not quite so out of the technology loop now. I know there's still A LOT to learn (and that no one will probably ever be able to keep up with all of it) but I feel good about what I've learned so far.
I feel pretty confident on the things we've been taught so far and, like I mentioned before, I was happy I was able to help one of my friends that was having a hard time with the same kind of things. I've also started noticing when I'm on different sites whether or not it has a link for an RSS or if you're able to subscribe to it... like I said earlier...I'm sure there will be many more sites subscribed to on my reader.
Though I feel like I've learned a lot recently, I know there's a lot I don't know. One of my friends was over at my house today and was playing around with my computer trying to clean it up and fix our internet and stuff like that. I was able to observe him and learned things that I feel like I should know but obviously didn't. He taught me about home networks (I didn't know that you could have a common folder and share it between anyone in your network and therefore can access things from any computer if you put it in that folder). I also learned important things like defragmenting and different types of anti-virus programs. Alright, so I know this is a very general and broad statement but I've realized that there's just a lot I still can learn about technology so I guess the best way to state what I want to know is to say that I at least want to feel more computer savvy and feel like I know what's going on.

No comments: